In the Absence of Natural Light
DSA’s installation for spring 2018, In the Absence of Natural Light, by artist team Lumina (Iole Alessandrini and Etta Lilienthal), layered illumination and color into the Westlake Park fountain. The light sculpture was commissioned by DSA to help create a vibrant pedestrian experience and encourage visitors to spend more time at Westlake, a central gathering point for people from all walks of life.
The display integrated specialized lights throughout the fountain’s base and support struts. Once activated, “planes” of light would spring to life, complementing sheets of falling water.
The installation is in place year-round, and helps bring people to the park during slower times, including fall and winter.
Download Park Permit Application
Westlake ParkSign up for Parks Newsletter
General Park Info:
Michael Johnson, Director of Parks & Public Spaces
Jennifer Casillas, VP, Public Realm & Ambassador Operations
Art and Public Space Projects:
Seth Geiser, Manager, Urban Planning & Design
The Seattle Municipal Code prohibits:
- Placing any structure or obstruction in the park without a permit
- Dogs or other pets that are not leashed; person with dog must carry and use equipment for removing feces.
- Sale of merchandise without a permit
- Amplified sound without a permit.
- Liquor (open or closed container)
- Skateboarding, roller-skating
- Illegal gambling
- Urinating or defecating
Parks Code of Conduct (enforceable under SMC 18.12.040) prohibits:
- Depriving others of their use or enjoyment of the park
- No smoking
- Unattended items
- Creating a risk of harm to any person or property
- Obstructing pedestrian traffic; interfering with the provision of services or the use of park property
- Disrupting Parks and Recreation activities.
- Abusive or harassing behavior