Senior Specialist, Events & Programming
Public Area Management
VP, Public Space Operations & Events
The Senior Specialist supports the work of the Downtown Seattle Association and Metropolitan Improvement District by playing a key role in the Urban Parks Activation Partnership, an innovative private/public management model currently in place in Westlake and Occidental Parks. The Senior Specialist is responsible for park permitting and logistics, planning and implementation of public space activation strategies. This includes daily logistics, programming, promotions, and marketing to support efforts that activate these spaces, specifically Occidental Square. The Senior Specialist is also responsible for all planning and implementation of the organization’s signature event, the Downtown Summer Sounds Concert Series, that takes place in various locations downtown each summer. The position will report to the VP, Public Space Operations & Events as part of the Public Realm team.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Be primary DSA liaison to neighborhood businesses and organizations around Occidental Square, perform extensive interaction with the public and work to foster and maintain positive relationships with stakeholders.
- Continually work to improve the urban environment through consistent and thoughtful programming and activation.
Occidental Square Specific (Permitting & Activation)
- Manage the permitting process, which will include receiving all permits, responding in a timely manner, and confirming/declining applications.
- Review permits for completeness, appropriateness and/or to determine program eligibility; process documents according to guidelines (including certificates of insurance, etc.).
- Oversee and serve as on-site contact for all activation logistics in Occidental Square, as well as other venues as assigned.
- Follow up with applicants that require additional details including scheduling an onsite walk through of the activation logistics.
- Invoice clients in a timely manner based on fee matrix.
- Research, identify plan, schedule and design activations and programming for and in Occidental Square that attract diverse audiences, are appropriate for the neighborhood and foster positive activity and vibrancy for the park.
- Maintain positive relationships with onsite programming partners and sponsors to ensure smooth event and activity execution.
- Provide on-site support for larger programs & events in order to outline expectations of holding an event in a park.
- Manage internal parks calendar, to include entering/deleting events in real time and ensuring appropriate event details are included and accurate.
- Responsible for coordinating activation and marketing/promotional materials with the Communications/Marketing team (including copywriting, proofing, routing, and approval).
- Communicate to activation partners in response to last minute, unforeseen scheduling conflicts.
- Develop and maintain relationships with DSA sponsors and act as liaison to sponsors as sponsorship packages relate to/result in events in Occidental Square.
- Develop event recaps/proof of performance for key park activations.
- Attending monthly City Special Events Committee and tracking large events with Parks overlap.
Downtown Summer Sounds Concert Series
Oversee all programming and event logistics for the Downtown Summer Sounds Concert Series:
- Plan and execute operational budgets.
- Develop and track contracts for all company and vendor partnerships.
- Assist in development of RFPs and creative briefs for graphic design and event production vendors, coordinate content for advertising, media and web/graphics deliverables.
- Manage sponsor contracts and relationships.
- Maintain and update project and event, workplans, timelines, post compilation wrap packets, etc.
- Oversee summer event interns.
General DSA Support
- Contribute to DSA membership recruitment efforts, maintain contacts in DSA/MID CRM database.
- Ensure all deliverables are provided on-time and consistent with approved formats, within allotted hours and budget.
- Facilitate coordinating content for event web pages, collateral and appropriate outreach for programming and events.
- Maintain an event collateral inventory and archive for all events/programming.
- Perform other event-related tasks as needed, including pulling event data for staffing reports, staffing company events, helping to organize supplies, assisting in running supplies out to the park, and other tasks as assigned.
- Handle wide range of administrative tasks including general office support, document tracking and reporting, and record keeping.
- Participate in committee meetings for DSA events as necessary.
- Oversee on-site event volunteers and volunteer recognition as needed.
- Perform other related duties as required.
- Bachelor Degree in marketing, public relations, business, urban planning or related fields.
- 3-5 years of experience in event coordination.
- Ability to maintain accurate records and efficiently multi-task daily deadlines.
- Enjoys proofreading, including grammar, spelling and design elements
- Experience in marketing, events, community development, or related fields.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Experience managing budgets.
- Extremely organized and detail oriented with the ability to meet tight deadlines.
- Ability to take direction.
- Adapt to changing priorities while continuing to manage workplans.
- Self-motivated, energetic learner and a positive attitude with a good sense of humor.
- Ability to handle stressful situations, demonstrating diplomacy and tact under pressure.
- Ability to respond to and resolve difficult and sensitive citizen inquiries and complaints.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work well with diverse groups.
- Knowledge of downtown Seattle, its neighborhoods and business community preferred.
- Ability to work early morning, evenings, weekends, and holidays.
$24.00-$30.00 DOE per hour plus competitive compensation package that includes medical, dental, PTO, 401k and ORCA transportation pass.
Please send resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
The Downtown Seattle Association is an Equal Opportunity Employer.