Director, Research & Strategic Initiatives
Established in 1958, the Downtown Seattle Association (DSA) is a nonprofit membership organization whose mission is to create a healthy, vibrant downtown for all. By advocating on issues including transportation, economic development and the urban experience, DSA works to ensure that downtown remains a great place to live, work, shop and play. DSA also founded and manages the Metropolitan Improvement District, a business-improvement area spanning 285 square blocks downtown.
This position will be responsible for the analysis and accuracy of the data collected by the Metropolitan Improvement Districts’ Ambassador programs as well as the Downtown Seattle Association. This position will also retrieve and analyze data from variety of outside sources to educate internal and external stakeholders about downtown Seattle. Work will include trend analysis, data quality/integrity checks, report preparation and presentation. Additional responsibilities are creating data-based reports for meetings, presentations and advocacy work.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Research, retrieve and manage internal data for Clean, Safe and Parks and Public Spaces programs.
- Define, track and report key metrics to measure the work of DSA/MID activities
- Support and help maintain organization’s CRM database
- Connect data findings to inform direct service decisions and program direction.
- Complete audits of data to ensure quality and integrity of reporting.
- Maintain close communication with management by providing reports and data to support policy and program direction.
- Present data in clear, interesting ways to educate organization staff, as well as policymakers and external stakeholders
- Maintain and enhance job-specific knowledge by attending trainings, workshops and reviewing relevant literature to remain current.
- Support DSA/MID staff data requests and research needs
- Provide expertise and support for data collection, reporting and visualization.
- Compile internal and external reports to support DSA/MID operations
- Present data to internal and external partners.
- Represent the Downtown Seattle Association in a positive and professional manner
- Four-plus years of academic or professional experience in data analysis
- Strong working knowledge of research methods, survey design and data analysis skills
- Strong skills in Microsoft Office and Google cloud computing, productivity and collaboration tools (Sheets, Forms, Docs, etc.)
- Possess an entrepreneurial drive to find trends and key data points to support programing and policy decisions around public safety and homelessness
- Ability to communicate and demonstrate research findings to diverse audiences using a variety of media
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize staff requests and set expectations
- Drive to seek, learn and experiment with new technology
- Self-confidence to achieve challenging and innovative outcomes
- Strong passion for creating a downtown that is inclusive of everyone
- Strong organizational, verbal and written communication skills
- Strong collaboration skills with internal and external partners
- Knowledge of downtown Seattle and its community a plus
- Experience using ArcGIS, SQL, and/or Microsoft Access is a plus
- Work within and across organizational teams
- Self-sufficient and resourceful.
- Skilled in Microsoft Word, Outlook, PPT, Excel and WordPress. Experience with Neon CRM software a plus.
- Reflect the Downtown Seattle Association’s core values of Collaboration, Perseverance, Innovation, Excellence, and Integrity
- Commitment to a growth mindset
- Humility, sense of humor, and comfort with ambiguity
- Embrace the DSA mission and adjust for changing priorities as we create a healthy, vibrant downtown for all.
The hourly pay range for this position is $22-$25 per hour DOE. The Downtown Seattle Association provides a comprehensive benefits package including:
- 100% employer-paid
- Medical/dental/vision coverage
- Life insurance
- Long-term disability
- Paid FMLA
- Generous paid time off
- 10 paid holidays plus six paid personal days
- ORCA transit card
- First Choice Employee Assistance Program
- Flexible spending account (medical or dependent)
- Employer-matched 401(k) contribution with up to 5% match
Things to Know About DSA:
- We recognize there is value in the Downtown Seattle Association and our affiliate organizations and programs reflecting the diversity of our community and we are intentionally and actively seeking out applications from a variety of backgrounds, including members of the LGBTQIA+ community, and Black, Indigenous and people of color (BIPOC).
- Downtown Seattle Association is an equal opportunity employer. All employees and potential employees will be recruited, selected, trained, promoted, and, if necessary, disciplined without regard to sex, race, religion, creed, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, color, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, political ideology or activity, disability, honorably-discharged veteran or military status. All applicants are carefully screened, and full consideration is given to their training, education, skills, aptitudes, experience and previous work record. In addition, DSA does not discriminate on the basis of genetic information in its employment related policies and practices, including coverage under its health benefits program.
- The Downtown Seattle Association is proud to step up for safety by requiring COVID-19 vaccination of all team members. To be considered for employment, applicants must supply verification of vaccination during the initial interview process.
Application Instructions Apply Today
Please submit your application materials to firstname.lastname@example.org.