Public Area Management
Public Space Supervisor
Full time, non-exempt, 40 hours a week – four 10-hour shifts on and three days off
The Downtown Seattle Association is a non-profit business improvement association located in downtown Seattle. In the past several years, the DSA has increased their focus on public space activation and have a contract in place with Seattle Parks and Recreation to manage the staffing, activation, permitting, and sponsorship of Westlake Park and Occidental Square. Additionally, the DSA has taken on various levels of responsibilities in other parks and public spaces around downtown. The Park Ambassador is responsible for the daily operations in the park, ensuring that our parks are clean, welcoming and fully activated public spaces for all to enjoy.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Serve as an on-the-ground liaison for vendors, permitted groups, sponsors, partners, and members of the public to ensure a positive park experience for everyone. Help with directions, questions and other requests as needed.
- Serve as a liaison to unpermitted (unscheduled) free speech events to ensure all groups complying with the law have access to the parks.
- Review the internal parks and public space calendar and follow requests for event and equipment set-up.
- Coordinate with SPD, Park Rangers, and human service partners to ensure that vulnerable groups present in the parks are addressed in a humanitarian, compassionate manner.
- Communicate with Supervisor, Park Rangers and SPD to report any illegal or violent activity in the parks.
- Daily set up of amenities (chairs, tables and signage) and activities in the park.
- Conduct hourly counts of the men, women and children using the park throughout the day.
- Ensure park areas are clean and free of debris prior to scheduled event/activation and before departing the Park.
- Oversee set-up and breakdown of activations and programming; including staging, tents, signage and audio/video systems.
- Track number of event attendees, on-site media, any sponsor, vendor or public feedback. Document events and programming with reports and pictures.
- Regularly attend deployments, participate in committee/task force meetings and attend DSA events as necessary.
- Develop and maintain professional working relationships with local service providers, property managers, merchants, ratepayers and DSA partners and staff members.
- Locate and remove graffiti from tables, chairs and other amenities. Track and report broken equipment, issues, cleanups and facility problems to Supervisor.
- Work closely with public space management team and fellow ambassadors to ensure consistency and collaboration in processes throughout DSA led initiatives in downtown parks and public spaces.
- Advise Supervisor of trends and activity within parks and public spaces.
- Represent the DSA and the Park Ambassador program at special events and community meetings in a positive and highly professional manner.
- Other commensurate duties as assigned.
- Strong ability to work and interact with the public and diverse audiences.
- Demonstrated customer service experience.
- Ability to handle stressful situations, demonstrating diplomacy and tact under pressure.
- Self-motivated, energetic learner and leader with a good sense of humor.
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability and willingness to work as part of a team.
- Knowledge of downtown Seattle, it’s neighborhoods and business community preferred.
Job Location and Conditions:
- Duties will be carried out in Westlake Park, Occidental Square and Belltown parks, other locations TBD.
- Must be available to work early mornings, days, evening, weekends and holidays.
- Willing to perform manual labor for set-up and take down (sweeping/cleaning up, taking garbage to dumpster, etc.)
- Willing to work outside year-round in all-weather conditions for 10-hour shifts.
- Must wear uniform, responsible for neat and clean appearance of uniform including shirt, hat and jacket.
$15.00, $20 cell phone stipend per month, plus full medical, dental vision benefits, paid time off, short and long-term disability, 401K retirement plan and annual ORCA Pass.
Please email resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org
NO TELEPHONE CALLS PLEASE
The Downtown Seattle Association is an Equal Opportunity Employer.