Public Space Operations and Events
Manager, Urban Planning and Design
Full time, Permanent
The mission of the Metropolitan Improvement District (MID) Public Space Program is to assist in creating an active and welcoming environment for all who frequent Downtown Seattle. This includes workers, residents, tourists, and organizations that serve the downtown community and the vulnerable street population.
This position will provide consistent and predicable staffing to support the activation and right-of-way improvements of Pine Street Plaza, McGraw Square, and Westlake Square. The Downtown Guide will be responsible for the daily operations in the activation zone, ensuring cleanliness, and helping to maintain a welcoming public space for all to enjoy.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Serve as on-the-ground liaison for vendors, sponsors, partners, and members of the public to ensure a positive experience for visitors.
- Provide concierge services; assist with directions and other questions as needed.Daily set-up and take-down of amenities (chairs, tables, signage, etc.) and activity equipment.
- Ensure activation area is clean and free of debris.
- Remove graffiti from tables, chairs and other amenities as able, using provided graffiti removal products.
- Coordinate with MID, SDOT, SPR, and human service partners to ensure that vulnerable groups present in the parks are addressed in a humanitarian and compassionate manner.
- Track and provide reports for directions provided, illegal activity, visitor counts, and graffiti.
- Represent the Downtown Seattle Association and the MID at special events in a positive and professional manner.
- Communicate with coworkers and Supervisors to report issues, overall trends, and request cleanups.
- Work closely with public space management team and fellow ambassadors to ensure consistency and collaboration in processes throughout DSA led initiatives in downtown parks and public spaces.
- Operate equipment safely and in accordance with training, wear appropriate personal protective equipment, and report any unsafe work conditions or practices to supervisor.
- May be assigned to work at one or more other public spaces.
- Must wear uniform when on duty. Responsible for clean and neat appearance of uniform including shirt, pants, jacket, hat, footwear, and provided accessories.
- Demonstrated customer service experience.
- Strong ability to work and interact with the public.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability and willingness to work as part of a team.
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Must possess a solid work ethic and the ability to follow instructions.
- Self-motivated, energetic learner and leader with a good sense of humor.
- Knowledge of downtown Seattle and its community a plus, but not required.
- Bilingual applicants encouraged.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
- Work is conducted outdoors in an urban environment; must be able to work in all weather conditions.
- Must be available to work weekends, evenings, and holidays.
- Must be able to lift 40lb.
- Must be able to hear.
- Must be able to read and speak English.
- Starts at $15/hr. Medical, dental, and vision benefits, PTO, 401k retirement plan, and annual ORCA pass with full-time status.
Send resumes to email@example.com. No phone calls.
The Metropolitan Improvement District is an Equal Opportunity Employer