Director, Membership & Sponsorship
VP, Marketing & Communications
Established in 1958, the Downtown Seattle Association (DSA) is a nonprofit membership organization whose mission is to create a healthy, vibrant downtown for all. By advocating on issues including transportation, economic development and the urban experience, DSA works to ensure that downtown remains a great place to live, work, shop and play. DSA also founded and manages the Metropolitan Improvement District, a business-improvement area spanning 285 square blocks downtown.
The Director of Membership & Sponsorship plays a highly visible role with Downtown Seattle Association members, Metropolitan Improvement District ratepayers, and the broader business/nonprofit community. The director is responsible for all aspects of the membership cycle, including prospecting, recruitment, retention and engagement, as well as securing sponsorship for events. The director has significant interaction with DSA Board members and manages one-two other staff members. The position is a member of the Communications & Marketing Team, which manages a broad scope of work, including events, earned and social media, brand and website management, graphic design and copywriting. This is an office-based position with flexibility for some remote workdays.
Essential Duties and Tasks
- Stays abreast of issues impacting the Seattle business community and DSA’s priorities and policy positions.
- Models a culture of membership and drives the membership lifecycle strategy from prospecting to recruitment and retention.
- Helps develop and oversee annual membership and sponsorship budgets. Closely monitors revenue/expense targets.
- Meets with prospective members individually or as part of a larger team.
- Serves as an advocate for existing members, triaging questions or concerns.
- Ensures excellent document of member account information using DSA’s CRM system.
- Manages and collaborates closely with another membership staff person who handles regular member correspondence, billing and reports.
- Participates in the planning and execution of member events.
- Identifies and conducts outreach to potential event sponsors.
- Develops and maintains collaborative relationships with members and board members.
- Supports board members with recruitment and retention.
- Attends DSA Board meetings and provides regular membership updates.
- Performs other related duties of a comparable level/type as assigned.
- A minimum of seven years’ experience in membership/sales or related role
- Experience with planning and executing events
- Demonstrated commitment to superior customer service
- Strategic and creative individual who can work independently and as part of a team
- Ability to interact professionally with members, ratepayers, staff and vendors
- Highly organized, deadline-oriented, attentive to detail with excellent follow-through
- Must be available to work early mornings, evenings or weekends as needed
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Outstanding interpersonal communication skills
- Must be comfortable working with individuals from diverse backgrounds
- Must work with a passion and urgency
- Must be a self-starter, highly organized, dependable, have strong problem-solving skills and able to manage multiple complex programs at once
- Self-management and accountability a must, with excellent follow-through
- Strong collaboration and consensus-building skills
- Ability to effectively represent DSA, its mission and values in the community
Skilled in Microsoft Word, Outlook, PPT, Excel and WordPress. Experience with Neon CRM software a plus.
- Reflect the Downtown Seattle Association’s core values of Collaboration, Perseverance, Innovation, Excellence, and Integrity
- Commitment to a growth mindset
- Humility, sense of humor, and comfort with ambiguity
- Embrace the DSA mission and adjust for changing priorities as we create a healthy, vibrant downtown for all.
The salary pay range for this position is $90,000-110,000 with sponsorship sales incentive. The Downtown Seattle Association provides a comprehensive benefits package including:
- 100% employer-paid
- Medical/Dental/Vision Coverage
- Life Insurance
- Long Term Disability
- Paid FMLA
- Generous Paid Time Off
- 10 paid Holidays plus six paid personal days
- ORCA transit card
- First Choice Employee Assistance Program
- Flexible Spending Account (medical or dependent)
- Employer-Matched 401(k) Contribution with up to 5% Match
Things to Know About DSA
We recognize there is value in the Downtown Seattle Association and our affiliate organizations and programs reflecting the diversity of our community and we are intentionally and actively seeking out applications from a variety of backgrounds, including members of the LGBTQIA+ community, and Black, Indigenous, and people of color (BIPOC).
Downtown Seattle Association is an equal opportunity employer. All employees and potential employees will be recruited, selected, trained, promoted, and, if necessary, disciplined without regard to sex, race, religion, creed, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, color, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, political ideology or activity, disability, honorably discharged veteran or military status. All applicants are carefully screened, and full consideration is given to their training, education, skills, aptitudes, experience, and previous work record. In addition, DSA does not discriminate on the basis of genetic information in its employment related policies and practices, including coverage under its health benefits program.
Downtown Seattle Association is proud to step up for safety by requiring COVID-19 vaccination of all team members. To be considered for employment, applicants must supply verification of vaccination during the initial interview process.
Please submit your application materials to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, with priority given to applications received by 5 p.m. on Friday, Aug. 19, 2022. Apply Today